Building a Raspberry Pi console

Yesterday, Bailin and I finished the build of the Raspberry Pi console.

This Raspberry Pi console project is the culmination of more than half a year of effort. For the last eight months, I have been teaching the kids at Ulu Pandan Stars Python (specifically Python Turtle). After much hand-holding and patient instruction the kids were able to write the code for a Pong clone (mostly) all by themselves. (We wrote the code that read from the GPIO pins).

The kids don’t understand all the concepts, however, which makes me think that the project is a little too ambitious. For example, they have no idea what the ADC does, how the wiring in the Raspberry Pi works and/or how the Raspi reads the hardware inputs. I don’t see this as too big a deal, though, because even if they don’t understand it, at least they know about it.

Nonetheless, the kids definitely do understand a lot of things: basic programming concepts (functions, loops, conditionals), Cartesian coordinates, event-based programming, and so on. We have also been training them to talk about what they have done (the girls lack the confidence to speak in a formal setting) but there’s still a lot of work that still needs to be done.

Parts used

Total cost: ~250 SGD

First draft

The project started as a ‘shoebox console’ but we found that a shoebox was way too flimsy. Here’s what that looked like:

image-title-here

image-title-here image-title-here Zhengyang with the students

Video of me pressing the buttons

We used an X-acto knife to cut the holes in the box and had to solder wires onto the rheostats and the push buttons.

Improved version

Bailin was able to buy a box file from Popular for $5 so we used that instead.

Soldering the buttons Bailin soldering the buttons. His hands were shaky so I took over for the more delicate parts.

Work-in-progress console The box before we put all the stuff inside it.

Closeup of the work-in-progress console Closeup of the WIP console; power bank not pictured

Video tour of the console

Console from the side Side view

Closeup of the console Closeup of the console

My mom and my cousin playing with it: the game is buggy and I will get Audrey and Gillian to fix it.

Finishing up

Today I called for an extra lesson where I got the kids to mount the final two buttons so they couldclaim to have done at least some of it themselves (instead of having the tutors do all the work). Here’s what the final version looks like now:

Console from the front Front view

Console from the side 3/4-view. I think it kind of looks like a face!

Closeup of the console Closeup of the console

Actually I still don’t know how the thing is wired because Zheng Yang did the lion’s share of the work in wiring. I’ll have to learn from Bailin how everything is wired.

This was my first time working with a Raspberry Pi as well as hardware components like rheostats and buttons: my previous projects were all software-only. I’m very grateful to Zheng Yang and Bailin for helping so much (it literally could not have been done without Zheng Yang).

The kids will finish their DSA exercise in August. Whether or not they get into DSA is out of my control but I hope that they will have the confidence and motivation to pursue similar projects in the future. STEM is the future, after all…

What’s next

The kids should patch their games and do some bug-fixing.

I’d like to build a few ‘demonstration games’ on the console that make good use of the two rheostats (an interesting input medium).

It’s my hope that this console can be used as a springboard for future programming lessons.

Post list